The Sisters of St Joseph were the first religious to come to Holy Land in 1847. In a war stricken Israel, the Sisters try to be a loving presence in a world of Jews, Muslims and Christians without any distinction. The Sisters are engaged in the Christian Arab Villages for pastoral work, in education and in a university Students’ foyer which is open to both Christian and Muslim with a priority to Christians. The Sisters direct a retreat house as well as a hospital for terminal cases. This hospital is open to Christians, Jews and Muslims alike. They also assume a presence in prisons and in a Centre for the handicapped. A Sister has specialised to animate biblical tours.